Welcome back! It’s the summer and that means it is time for the Overthinking It Book Club. We are Overthinking the comic book series “Saga,” and this is Week 1, covering Chapters 4–6 of the series. Join Ben, Richard, Jordan, and Matt as we discuss head smashing on Sextillion, violence vs. pacifism, what different characters will do for their families, and who is really the monster.
→ Download the Saga Book Club Podcast
Subscribe to the Book Club Podcast
Get new episodes of the Book Club Podcast automatically when they are published!
Subscribe with iTunes or the Apple Podcasts App
Subscribe with RSS
Possible Episode Titles
- A Pair of Tincans
- I’ll Say It Again…It’s a Robot. Taking a Dump.
- Screens Within Screens
- It’s Like How You Can’t Tickle Yourself
- ” Sometimes You Can’t Go Into the Cool Brothel Because you’re a Cat”
- This Might Not Be the Hill I Want to Die On
- Unless Lying Cat is into human misery and suffering
- When You Have a Hammer Everything Looks Like a Pimp’s Head to Smash In
- You Don’t Drive an Automated Shuttle to the Baggage Claim, You Ride It
The Overthinking It Book Club
The book club has always been an experiment to see if we, the worldwide community of Overthinkers, can have as much fun looking at a work of literature as we have when we talk about movies, TV shows, and music. We’ve done novels, we’ve done video games, and now we’re taking that idea into a yet another new medium by turning our eyes to the world of serialized comics. Staring on July 6 and continuing for a 6-week series, we’ll be breaking down the acclaimed series “Saga” from Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples.
Get “Saga” (Issues 1–18)
Saga is an ongoing series, with new chapters coming out periodically. To focus our discussion, we’ll be reading just the first 18 chapters of the series.
You can read those 18 chapters in any number of different ways: in addition to the single releases, there are paperback Volumes with 6 chapters each, and even a hardcover with all 18 chapters in a single book. There is probably a comic books store near you, and you should go out and support it by buying your edition there!
But if not, you can support Overthinking It by purchasing the books through an Amazon affiliate link:
- Paperback: Volume 1, Volume 2, and Volume 3 (with 6 issues per volume)
- Hardcover: Saga Deluxe Edition Volume 1 Hardcover (with all 18 chapters)
- Digital: iTunes Store
We’d be grateful if you can use those affiliate links, but if you are totally committed to a different platform, here are links for the Comixology store and DRM-free versions directly from Image.
We’ve divided the game into six roughly equal chunks. You’ll get the most out of the club if you have played through these sections by these dates:
- Week 1: July 6 (Issues 1-3, first half of Vol. 1)
- Week 2 (this podcast): July 13 (Issues 4-6, second half of Vol. 1)
- Week 3: July 20 (Issues 7-9, first half of Vol. 2)
- Week 4: July 27 (Issues 10-12, second half of Vol. 2)
- Week 5: August 3 (Issues 13-15, first half of Vol. 3)
- Week 6: August 10 (Issues 16-18, second half of Vol. 3)
For our discussion, we’re going to use a special section in the Overthinking It Forums. Friday before each section begins, we’ll open up a forum for the coming week with some study questions to get our discussion started. As you read over the weekend, you can answer our questions in the week’s forum, start your own discussion topics there, and chime in on discussions that others have started. Everything up to and including the week’s section of the book is fair game for discussion—but if you’ve read ahead, no spoilers for what is to come! (We’ll open up an “all-series” thread for those.)
Add a Comment