30 Rock Thread

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  An Inside Joke 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  •  
  • February 1, 2013 at 6:22 pm #27914

So this is it. 7 years of 30 Rock. Thoughts on the finale, or on the series as a whole?

One thing, related to the snow-globe ending. The young lady pitching Kenneth the show we just saw is Mini-Tracy’s granddaughter, pitching the real-life experiences we’ve been watching for 7 years as a NEW show for NBC. Kenneth says “I know” because he was there the first time.

Right?… Right?

February 1, 2013 at 9:24 pm #27915

Apparently Kenneth died twice during the show’s run, but came back both times, because he’s immortal and ageless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Parcell

Apparently Kenneth occasionally argues with an unseen entity called “Jacob.” The biblical Jacob? Jacob from Lost? A supernatural power that grants him eternal life and youth?

February 5, 2013 at 2:58 pm #27991

I will never forget you, Rural Juror.

A lot of photons have been spilled on the internet about this, but it bears repeating that it’s a minor miracle 30 Rock lasted as long as it did and got to go out on its own terms. So many shows get de-facto finales that a finale (and a final season) that actually feels planned out is the exception rather than the rule. I’m truly grateful NBC never got its act together and found a replacement show that would do better ratings (though I would definitely watch a couple episodes of Grizz and Herz).

30 Rock’s relationship with NBC in that light is interesting, since 30 Rock spends so much time poking fun at NBC. Is there another show out there that seemingly bites the hand that feeds it so consistently? 30 Rock is in a somewhat unique position because it takes place at the network, and therefore they can create this whole alternate universe NBC where the real life media personalities can adopt totally different personae. I guess there’s some upside for NBC in that the network looks like it’s in on the joke, but still, I can’t imagine David Letterman cracking jokes about CBS (but correct me if I’m wrong).

As for the finale itself, I loved it. The room definitely got a little dusty during Liz’s scenes with Tracy in the strip club and Jack at the pier. The only thing that felt a little off was Pete’s subplot about faking his death – maybe it would have played better if they had spent the whole season seeding it, but as is it felt pretty dark.

These truly were the best days of our flurm!

March 5, 2013 at 3:55 am #28220

To answer your question about other shows that “bite the hand,” I immediately thought of The Simpsons and all the jokes they crack about Fox. Of course, it’s not quite on the same level, as The Simpsons isn’t about producing a TV show, and doesn’t have as many organic moments to bring up network politics, but they do get their shots in when they can.

Also, I found it interesting that Wrather assumed the woman at the end was mini-Tracy’s child. I thought she looked ethnically ambiguous or multi-racial, and was intended to be the potential daughter of either of Liz’s children.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)